Welcome to our Productivity Tip of the Day, where we summarize the best articles from across the web, and extract the key tips and tricks that will help your productivity.
Five Ways to Optimize Your Workspace for Productivity
by Jory Mackay (@JoryMacKay)
Key Takeaway: Work environment significantly affects productivity. Studies have shown how our working habits, both good and bad, are often related to our surroundings. Find a good working environment and you’ll be forced into a state of flow.
Tips & Tricks:
Reduce clutter. Physical clutter overloads your senses, making you feel stressed, and it impairs your ability to think creatively.
- Apply constraints. Set hard limits for how much clutter surrounds you, whether it’s open tabs or papers on a desk.
- Use smaller storage spaces. Less room means less room for clutter.
- Review your space regularly. Set time aside to clean, sort, and discard every month.
- Set up a daily cleanse routine. Clean your desktop at the end of each workday to start with a clean slate tomorrow.
Work in inspiring places. A new environment can quite literally lead to new ideas.
- Look for a spot with natural light from a window or skylight.
- Take a walk outside when you feel stuck.
- Explore a new location.
Work in different places for different tasks. Set up multiple workspaces for different tasks and you’ll be able to force your mind into a certain flow.
Make it easier to do the tasks you need to do. Conversely, make it harder to do the tasks you don’t.
- Lock away distracting items like phones and gaming devices.
- Close tabs at the end of the day.
Curate your senses. The sounds around you and the music you listen to can have a huge impact on your productivity. If you can’t find a quiet spot, noise cancelling headphones or music that drowns out speech can help you regain focus.