Welcome to our Productivity Tip of the Day, where we summarize the best articles from across the web, and extract the key tips and tricks that will help your productivity.
What Happens In Your Brain When You Lose Focus
by Stephanie Vozza (@stephanievozza)
Key Takeaway: There are ways to strengthen your focus so that small distractions don’t disrupt your thinking.
Tips & Tricks:
Here are six things that will help you pay attention:
- Practice meditation. Just like exercising trains your muscles, meditation trains your attention, allowing you to stay focused for longer periods of time.
- Limit your device alerts and notifications. This limits your potential distractions.
- Close your door. This reduces the potential for interruptions. If you don’t have an office, wear headphones to signal to your coworkers that you are unavailable.
- Take several short breaks. Performance tends to deteriorate after 50-60 minutes of continuous work, but you can maintain focus and quality by taking short rest breaks every 40 minutes.
- Don’t multitask. Multitasking can weaken your ability to focus. It can decrease concentration by as much as 40%.
- Get rid of internal distractions. Create a prioritized to-do list and complete extraneous tasks before engaging in a project that requires higher levels of focus and attention.