Bosses influence productivity and employee job satisfaction far more than any other factor.
by Amanda Goodall (@AmandaGoodall1), Benjamin Artz, and Andrew J. Oswald
Tips & Tricks:
Research indicates that a highly competent boss is the largest positive influence on a typical worker’s level of job satisfaction.
- Employees are far happier when they are led by people with deep expertise in the core activity of the business.
- Among American workers, having a technically competent boss is more important for employee job satisfaction than their salary (even when pay is really high).
There is growing evidence that happier workers are more productive:
- Small boosts in happiness subsequently produce a reliable 12% extra in labor productivity.
- Employees who are happy at work stay in their job longer, reducing downtime due to rehiring and retraining.
- Firms with happy employees tend to perform better.
Here’s another thing that will help you gain happiness at work: the Swedish fika.