Facebook might be a huge distraction for most, but there are still a few ways to stay productive without abandoning the ubiquitous social network. You can do this by becoming a Facebook “phreak”.
Facebook Phreaks and the Fight to Reclaim Time and Attention
by Cal Newport (@StudyHacksBlog)
Tips & Tricks
Productive ways to use Facebook:
- Participating in high-quality Facebook groups.
- Communicating with family and friends who mainly use Facebook.
- Marketing your products and services.
How to become a Facebook phreak:
- Uninstall the Facebook app on your phone so you aren’t constantly distracted.
- Cull your news feed. Unfollow or even unfriend people that share distractions. Unlike pages that do the same.
- If browsing Facebook on your computer, install a custom add-on that can block the feed altogether.
- Use Facebook apps that cater to your specific needs for the platform. Instead of the Facebook app, you can install Messenger, Facebook Groups, and Facebook Pages.
- Delegate your Facebook marketing to someone else to avoid getting sucked in altogether.
Yesterday’s phreaks are today’s “hackers”. Here’s how you can hack your day for maximum efficiency.